Friday, February 14, 2014

Weekly reflection-Module 6

I firmly believe that if we hand students iPads, we are also responsible for teaching digital citizenship with a 9-12 systematic approach. Currently our district doesn’t, and I believe that is irresponsible. In my own children’s district, there is a systematic approach in the elementary and middle school and as a parent, I feel as though I can trust that my son is using his electronic device appropriately and responsibly.
This past year, I took a course on digital citizenship which mostly used resources through Common Sense Media. I incorporated a lesson plan in my English class, but at that point it was difficult to know what they knew and didn’t know because we don’t have a district-wide approach. Most of the material through this course was on social networking, the dangers and how to form positive, healthy relationships safely while on-line. 
This past week, I learned some new things as well. I am familiar with the term digital footprint, but the videos on students promoting positive messages through social media enabled me to think differently. I started to consider how I could use social media in my classroom as a way to encourage students to think  outside of their world. Currently, most students use it to socialize with friends, but the potential for it academically is far-reaching.  I was able to express this idea through this week's lesson plan in a way that promotes positively to a student’s digital footprint, while reflecting on their current habits. The other two resources that hit me was the website on “Spread the R Word” because I can say until I am blue in the face that the word is offensive, but this website, with the social media implications, makes more of an impact. In addition, I have avoided using Twitter, even though I have an account, because I don’t quite understand how it works. But the website on “Complete Guide to Twitter Hashtags” gave me some insights on how I could use it in my work-life and in school. 

Despite everything I have learned, it doesn’t do much, if it isn’t applied. I can’t just piecemeal it into my classroom. Consequently, like many things I strongly believe in, it takes small steps towards a common goal. First this class, then collaborating with other like minded people, then hopefully incorporating it into the culture of our building. I believe we now have a principle where that kind of action is supported, so perhaps the goal can be realized, and it will become systematically part of our school culture. 

1 comment:

  1. I am with you on this one Tania, as you know. As systematic change needs to happen, otherwise we are basically just saying that 'it doesn't really matter'.
    Thanks for all your hard work throughout the course.

    ReplyDelete