Monday, January 20, 2014

Weekly reflection-Module 2

This past module has motivated me to do things differently in my classroom. I can visualize how to integrate flipped classroom with my own curriculum after watching several of the resources from this class. In particular, I have viewed Tom Driscoll, the Doctor and Katie Kimbar. Each one of these educators have similar reasons for using the flipped classroom; to engage students, encourage collaboration, provide resources that students can use at their own pace, and to provide transparency and accountability

The content I viewed from the doctor was reasons on why teachers should flip their classrooms. McCammon talks about the importance of teachers creating their own versions of the content and that “each teachers possess their own personal connection with the content that they teach that can inspire their students to care and to learn”. That is a significant selling point to me on using the flipped classroom. In addition, the playlists I create can come at my own pace, in my own time, without the added distractions I might encounter in a classroom. When I make the playlists, it is my version at my own pace which will come across clearer and more concise. He also discusses the simplicity of creating playlists for both the teacher and the student, again another good selling point. The only tools needed are a white board, tripod and cell phone. It looks and sounds easy to set up. 

Tom Driscoll’s wiki provides a view of what a flipped classroom might actually look like. I watched his two minutes compilation of different assignments that he had used in class. This has really got my head spinning along certain assignments or lessons I can do with my English class in particular. For example, in the next culture unit, I could have an playlist that would include an introduction, the essential learning targets, and the technological tools that will be used. I would probably use a keynote like Tom did to guide students, in addition to a white board. I also like how Tom provides a piece of himself and a sense of humor for his students, personalizing his flipped classroom. I then viewed Tom’s world history video on World Religions, an overview. It appears as though he is using a keynote where he has important point in text and then he elaborates on points verbally. I again like this type of style and visual myself using it for my next culture unit. 

Katie’s videos on flipped classroom was essentially answering questions and concerns from teachers. She was honest, straightforward and genuine in her responses. She addressed some concerns I had about what if students don’t watch the videos outside of class and points out that they can watch the videos at any time they want as either a first time view or a refresher. In addition, when students go to other places outside of her classroom, such as core lab, workshops or hassle for tassel, students are easily able to keep up with her content because of the playlists she creates.  


The assignment for this week on creating a screencast was very easy to use. I had played around with Quick Time this summer doing some screen recordings and so the Screencast-O-Matic was very user friendly. I can see some limitations to it, but again as an introduction for teachers and students to flipped classrooms, it does the job. My next challenge with be to play around with Explain Everything on the iPad’s.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tania - nice reflection this week. Good point about core labs, H2T etc . We have many places students can "catch up" and being able to see the same lesson that other students saw would be useful for students. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Explain Everything.

    ReplyDelete